“Challenging Board Behavior and How to Handle It”
Part of the FLG Leadership Series
Wednesday, October 25th, 2023 – 8:00 AM PST
Many of FLG’s partners serve on private and public company boards. And as any experienced board and executive leader knows, even just one problematic board member can significantly disrupt the functioning of the group, adversely affecting a board’s productivity and decision-making, and ultimately costing the organization both time and money. Counter-productive board behavior can occur not only at the individual board member level but also with “groups” within the BOD, or even across the full BOD itself. But savvy Board Chairs know that there are mechanisms which can be put in place and employed which can significantly reduce the negative impacts of “bad board behavior”.
Join our panel of four seasoned FLG partners (both CFOs and board members) as we explore the specific types and challenges posed by problematic BOD behavior, provide interesting real-life stories about managing through these situations, learn when to “call out” this behavior and layout best practices in remedying and mitigating such situations.
- When and how should board members call out inappropriate board behavior?
- How do you motivate unengaged and unprepared board members to step up?
- What do you do when an investor board member’s personal interests collide with those of the company and/or other investors?
- How do you stop board members from overly interfering in the management team’s purview?
- What strategies can be used when a board member becomes toxic to work with or behaves politically?
- What do you do with a board member who should retire but refuses to?